Friday, June 29, 2012

Unconventional Styling - Fireworks and Soireés

If you're a regular reader of fashion blogs, magazines, or watch T.V. shows that have anything to do with modern living, you've probably seen those featurettes about "What to Wear for the Fourth" (or something along those lines). Yes, these tips can prove to be helpful, but more often than not I find that some of the suggested styling is a bit...overdone. These outfits are a bit more "patriotic" and less functional than most people would like their wardrobe to be. This is where I'd like to offer a helping hand to some of you wondering just what to wear to those BBQs and celebrations for Independence Day.

For the ladies...

Photobucket




I haven't completely rejected the red, white, and blue color theme of the Fourth of July, but I've certainly toned down the intensity of the colors. To me, this outfit can be worn anytime during the Summer season. I've ensured that the look has a vintage flair with the scarf, shoes, and cut of the dress. I've also made sure to suggest some amazing red lipstick that will make you stand out. It's the little things that count!




For the guys...

Photobucket



Again, this is an outfit I think a guy could wear anytime during the Summer months. To me, the colors are even less obvious for the Fourth than the pieces in the women's set. This is okay, though, since we're still remaining in the red and blue color families. I added the pocket knife as both a seasonal and practical touch. There's always use for a multipurpose tool at a backyard BBQ!



Here's a bit of a breakdown with tips on how to style your own outfit for the Fourth:

  • Pick related (but not obvious) colors

    With the women's set, I did this by picking out pieces of a darker red and minimizing the amount of blue that I used in the look. With the men's set, I stuck to the same color families but went outside the usual boundaries of a traditional "blue" or"red". For both outfits, I chose to accent with vintage looking pieces that carried neutral hues. Again, this tones down the color of the main look.

  • Decide on pieces that can be worn after the holiday

    You want to get as much wear as you can out of your clothes. This is my personal philosophy, and I try to stick by it as best as I can. Buy a timeless (and maybe even seasonless) piece. The dress in the women's set is a great example of this. DO NOT buy pieces that have holiday-specific prints! This really limits you and can sometimes look cheesy!

  • Stick to your personal style

    It's always important to never deviate from what you're comfortable doing with your own styling. Yes, I've given a bit of a vintage flair to the women's set, but if that's not your thing it's okay! Do what feels natural to you, and you'll look AMAZING.


As always, feel free to throw your two cents in on what you'll be wearing for your Fourth of July celebration!

Next week I'll be coming to you from Minneapolis! Get ready to see some of the city in my posts.

Until next time!

~ they seek her there

No comments:

Post a Comment