Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What to Wear For...A Fashion School Event

Today is the (near) start of a new week and the launch date of a brand new feature here at They Seek Her There: "What to Wear For..." It was born out of the realization that though I'm convinced my life is a little hum drum from time to time, I do have unusual events to attend for which there is really no dictated wardrobe. I'm about to change this. This is my honest attempt to provide a standard for these strange moments in our lives when we throw open our closet doors and proclaim to no one in particular: "What am I going to wear?"

Last Friday, I had my first official fashion school event. For those of you who are not aware, I've decided to switch my career track up a bit and attend school for Fashion Marketing and Management. I was invited to a portfolio show at the school, and I wanted to attend to network and put myself out there a bit. What to wear? What to wear?

For something like a networking event in the fashion industry, my first instinct was to find a piece that was both affordable and unique. Sometimes that can be extremely challenging. My answer lie in the new Target collaboration line - The Webster at Target. If you are unfamiliar with The Webster, it is a Miami boutique that is being showcased via Target's new initiative "The Shops". This concept is all about getting unique little stores all over the country to showcase their products in Target stores. If you look closely the next time you pop in to the bulls-eye branded outlet, you'll notice these shops in different departments including food and cosmetics.

All of The Webster's products have a flair of the "resort" look - a trend that is carrying through from Spring to Summer. You can see the line here on Target's website.

At any rate, purchasing such a dress from a Target collaboration line isn't going to force me into pennilessness, but it's still going to be something that is limited and one-of-a-kind. I also want to project an air of professionalism and a specific definition of my "look" with my styling. I went for a 60s "mod" look complete with pink and white piped heels.


Photobucket

Dress - $39.99 (The Webster for Target) *Buy it HERE*
Necklace - $7 (Forever 21)
Headband - $1 for pack of 2 (Forever 21) *Buy it HERE*
Earrings - $3.80 (Forever 21)
Shoes - $6 (Target)

As you can see, I kept the accessories incredibly simple. I'm sure you can also see the vintage "touches" of the outfit - the cut of the dress, costume jewelry-looking necklace, piped shoes with the gold button embellishment. This is undeniably vintage inspired. I also know you can't really see the earrings, but they were in the vintage spirit as well. They look something like this:
Photobucket

Keeping the accessories neutral and simple, highlighting the embellishments on the shoes, and giving myself an all over "clean" look aided me in presenting myself professionally as well as being able to convey that I knew what I was doing styling-wise.

The event went great! I made several contacts, got an idea of what I might want to make for my own portfolio show, and felt generally welcomed into this new school. I think I'm going to like it there come October.

Stay tuned throughout the Summer for more unusual events and the looks I put together to accompany such occasions!

Do you have an unusual event approaching that you might want styling tips for? Please feel free to comment here or drop me a line on Facebook. I would be happy to help!

Until next time!

~ they seek her there


2 comments:

  1. I was admiring that line at Target when I got some stuff for other cosplays a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty cute, isn't it? That line is one of the better ones Target has collaborated with lately.

    ReplyDelete