Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trend Tip: Socks over tights


Hello again. Yes, I am back so soon, very eager to tell you about one of my favorite trends: socks over tights.

I'm sure you might have seen this around. This certainly isn't the first year it's "cool", and I'm sure it won't be the last. Why do I even care about this trend, you ask? Well, if you're planning on being a little edgy about your wardrobe, keep reading.

Last Fall and Winter was when this trend really started taking off. Excitingly (at least for me) it hasn't quite stopped. For those who believe that they might not be able to pull this off, fear not! I will help you become successful in your fashion forward choices.

How do you successfully pull off this trend? Here is my own interpretation of this hot movement:

Photobucket
Skirt - Forever 21: $9.80
Tights - Target: $5.00
Socks - Old Navy: $6.00 for pack of two
Boots - Thrifted gift


As you can see, we have a theme going here. Color is SO important when you're trying to pull off something new. I'm going to make a more detailed post about that later, but as you can see it does not have to be hard to spot complimentary colors and mix them up with a single piece which pulls all the color in. In this case, it's the socks.

They have a neutral base of gray with colors that already compliment each other. Pick pieces from your wardrobe that will fit with this. In my case, I decided to style it with a yellow skirt that I have and a pair of navy tights. Your last element is the top. For that portion of the outfit, I went with a red, graphic long sleeved shirt:

Photobucket
Hello Kitty shirt - Forever 21: $10.80
Navy beaded necklace - Thrifted: $1.00

In our above runway example picture, you can see that the model has a pair of heels on with her socks and tights. I've chosen boots. It's all up to what makes you comfortable. Don't wear heels if you can't walk in them! It took me a LONG time to get used to heels. Don't push yourself! Boots like mine are REALLY trendy right now. You can just about walk into any thrift store or discounted price clothing store and find a pair of these shoes for under $20. You might even be able to get away styling this look with a fancy pair of flats!
Photobucket

Even my co-worker decided to try this on for size today!


The point of all of this is simple: take a small fashion risk. Not comfortable with mixing patterns and textures? Just stick to mixing colors! Don't want to rock the heels for fear you'll fall over? Try a cute pair of boots or oxfords! Make it work for you!

Want to see a trend on this blog? Want to send pictures in of you rocking this trend? Please feel free to contact me at imafangirl@hotmail.com with your questions and comments or feel free to comment right here on this blog!

Until next time!

~ they seek her there

(Personal photos courtesy of myself. Runway photo provided by Philly.com.)

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Packed full of information I can use in my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so glad I could be of some help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those tights Tay ! Welcome to the blogosphere !

    ReplyDelete