Sunday, December 11, 2011

Trend Tip: Pattern Mixing

Prada's Spring 2011 runway show. What was the big hit with styling? Pattern mixing! Why? Because it's bold, loud, unique, and candy for the eyes. Don't think so? Okay, okay, admittedly this model is NOT AT ALL a good example of the "everyman" for whom I claim to be keeping this blog, but she certainly looks out there. THAT is what pattern mixing is really supposed to do for you; set you apart.

Yes, I do admit that pattern mixing is not for the faint of heart. If you have already read this far in and something inside of you is screaming "Not for me!!!!" turn back now... You can come back later and attempt a "safer" trend. For those of you who remain, welcome. We're absolutely diving in headfirst.

I'll give you a bit of an example before you go and try to do this on your own.

Photobucket
Scarf - Thrifted: $1.99
Sweater - Thrifted: $5.99
Belt -Ebay:$3.99
Skirt - Old Navy: $1.97 (free w/gift card!)
Tights - Target: $5.00
Socks - Target: $6.00 for pack of two
Boots - Thrifted: $5.00

There I am looking all safe and secure in my loudness. If you notice, my sweater and my skirt are not in any way, shape, or form complimentary by more conservative standards. Pfffft...conservative? With pattern mixing, I think not. There is, however, one very important element as to why these pieces do go together: they carry complimentary colors.

My sweater is a deep navy/black and my skirt has a prominent stripe of black running through the pattern. For people first starting out with this trend, this is going to be your key element - use complimentary colors. Your life will be so much easier!



Photobucket

More detailed shot of the sweater pattern...
(And owl necklace. Only $4.80 at Forever 21.)

Photobucket

...and the skirt.

Can you spot it? Congratulations! You're well on your way to becoming an excellent pattern mixer. One very easy way to do this is pull your favorite t-shirt out of your closet. If you want to make it really easy for yourself, graphic tees work the best.


Photobucket

I've chosen Hello Kitty as my graphic tee medium and an extremely colorful floral skirt from Wet Seal. Now, because the skirt has so many colors in it, pattern mixing with this one is a breeze. I can confidently pair this skirt with about 90% of graphic tees in my collection.

Again, don't be afraid to go bold (like our model up there), but remember that baby steps are required. Pattern mixing is a loud statement that one can pull off if you're very careful. If you happen to master the art, the possibilities are endless.

Please feel free to comment below with your own adventures in pattern mixing. Pictures are awesome too!

Until next time!

~ they seek her there

(Runway pic courtesy of Prada...)

No comments:

Post a Comment