Thursday, December 20, 2012

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things:
White Christmas

Photobucket
(Source)


My favorite Christmas movie, by far, is Irving Berlin's classic, White Christmas.  This is a movie that made an unfailing appearance every year in our household during the Christmas season.  My dad always had a great admiration for Bing Crosby, and I inherited this appreciation as I grew up.  

Good ol' Bing stars as Bob Wallace - one half of a composing/directing/producing duo a la Rogers and Hammerstein.  His partner and best friend, Phil Davis (played by Danny Kaye), convinces him to take their act on the road to Vermont after they are mixed up with the Haynes sisters (Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen) due to their attempt to do a favor for an old army buddy.  The movie progresses when they arrive in Vermont, discovering their old commanding officer from the army runs the inn that they are staying at and needs a bit of a helping hand.  From there, we see the duo of Wallace and Davis coupled with the Haynes sisters trying to stage a great production to secure the future of the inn.  

With such classics as White Christmas and Count Your Blessings, this film is more than satisfactory in the music department.  It has that "old movie charm", romance, a solid cast, and memorable scenes.  It's a movie that I can watch over and over and over again!  

Something I've been unable to ignore in my years of watching this film are the amazing costumes that the cast is fortunate enough to don.  There's no surprise that the costumes are so fabulous.  They were created by famous Hollywood designer Edith Head.  This week, I decided enough was enough. I was finally going to style a few sets for my readers based on my favorite costumes from the movie.  After all, Christmas comes only once a year.  



Pretty much everything Rosemary Clooney wears...


Photobucket
(Source)

(From left to right): Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney in the "Minstrel Number".


Photobucket
(Source)

This amazing green velvet dress that Rosemary Clooney wears during the engagement scene.  It screams "1950s!" to me.  

(Top): The dress in action.
(Bottom):  The dress on display today...

Photobucket
(Source)




Now for my interpretation...


Photobucket
Dress;  Tights;  Necklace;  Pumps;  Ring;  Gloves


The set I have for you draws inspiration from the above two outfits.  Rosemary's sequined, black dress from the "Minstrel Number" is the base.  Since this movie was released in 1954, I wanted to keep the vintage flavor in the outfit as much as possible, hence the red gloves. Throw in green accessories that pull in the element of the velvet dress and a vintage looking pearl necklace also inspired by the velvet dress look, and you've got it!  You'll be elegant and chic for any upcoming parties!





Bing & Danny's "Minstrel Number" attire...
Photobucket
Blazer;  Shirt;  Oxfords;  Pants;  Bow Tie;  Gloves


The first picture from the "Minstrel Number" should give you a good idea why the men's set has these items.  Keeping in mind that one might also want to wear this set to an upcoming party, I gave it a distinctly "holiday" flare.  The jacket, bow tie, fingerless gloves, and red button up are all ideas lifted directly from the minstrel scene.  The green pants are my interpretation of how to finish off the outfit.  I wanted to make the look a bit less costume-y, and more daily wear friendly.



Thanks for bearing with me through my gushing over this classic movie.  If you've never had a chance to watch it, there was never a better time!  For those who have it, the movie is now on Netflix!  If not, the movie has been released in several formats including DVD and Blu-Ray.  Rent it, snuggle on your couch with a blanket and a mug of hot cocoa, and watch White Christmas.  It will really get you into the holiday spirit.

Until next time!

~ theyseekherthere

1 comment: