Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Unconventional Styling - Neon

Much like last Spring and early Summer, neon is a trend that is not disappearing anytime soon. When trends don't seem to want to die out, it's better to embrace them than to fight them. Neon is loud and fun and (mostly) painless to pull off. Unfortunately, neon is also extremely unconventional. It's not always going to be on trend so it requires a bit of imagination to fit into your wardrobe. This is where my blog post today comes in...

This really started sometime last week. One of my co-workers was looking for a pair of shoes to wear with a dress she had ordered for a wedding. (See Set #1.) My (admittedly strange) first instinct was to go with a pair of neon pumps. She liked the idea, but apparently the people attending the wedding were more "conservative" with their dressing and she didn't think she would quite fit in. We moved on. In the end, we found a pair of shoes that would combine her "brighter" preferences and also allow her to blend in with the other attendees.

After the dilemma was solved, I couldn't quite get my immediate response out of my head. Yes, putting neons and neutrals together was a basic fashion step for the season but since when is this my go-to tip for styling? When did such unconventional looks become the norm for me? This warranted some thinking about.

What if you weren't afraid of trying those strange, not conservative looks out on the street, in your classes, to the beach, or to run errands? Even I hold back a bit myself sometimes. Below are three looks that "push the envelope" in styling. Two are simple matches that you can follow on example and do yourself. The third is a more complete look to challenge you...


Set #1

Photobucket


This is the look I had suggested to my co-worker. This is the exact dress she had ordered and the heels I suggested she pair the dress with. This also marks the first time that a plus-sized piece has been used in any of my sets. There will be lots more featured in the future!


Set #2


Photobucket


This is a great "bridge the gap" between Spring and Summer outfit. For those slightly chilly mornings or nights you have this fun poncho. Pair with neon shorts to give you a unique look and "bright" attitude.


Set #3


Photobucket



Here's our challenge for the post. I'll confess that I based the entire look around the tights. Tights are one of my shameless addictions. (Someday you may even get a post on them...) For such a loud piece, you need a simple neutral to tie it together. This is the purpose of the black dress. We've got neon pink nail polish and the purple heels to bring different color elements in from the tights. It's definitely a bit overboard - but in all the right ways!





Need styling advice - conventional or unconventional? Have you tried an unusual look that heads in admiration? Feel free to drop me a comment or Facebook message!

Until next time!

~ they seek her there



No comments:

Post a Comment