Monday, May 7, 2012

Standing out...and loving it!

Before we go any further, I'm warning you now that this post is about BEING YOURSELF. It might be a little cheesy and a little "easier said than done", but I've found out some interesting things since I've started this blog and I'd like to share them with you.

I have a bit of a confession to make to all of you - I've wanted to have a blog like this FOR YEARS. Why did it take me until last November to start? I could blame laziness or procrastination, but the real reason is that I lacked confidence. Yes, your lovely fashion blogger was not confident in her ability to share what I had to say with the world. Sure, I walked around with a look that stood out and garnered compliments that may or may not have reflected such a wardrobe. That hasn't changed, no. Rather it's the notion that I possessed a skill with which I had to become comfortable. After I took the plunge, it seemed that the creativity didn't stop flowing. I had idea after idea after idea. There's a multitude of amazing topics I want to share with you on this blog that we haven't even cracked the surface of yet!

I'm not trying to paint a picture for you of this girl who has an unshakable sense of who she is - that would be unrealistic. I have days where I look in the mirror and my outfit just doesn't "click" or I don't feel great about my weight or I look exhausted from my previous crazy day. (Trust me, I have a lot of those!) In the face of an icky attitude, I pick out something brightly colored, lean heavily on my music for the day, and I hope for the best. Sometimes, it's all you can do.

I've gotten the question posed to me as to how a reader of mine can project a confidence in what they wear like I seem to. Without the risk of this post turning out to be a "Guide to Being Your Fearless Blogger", I think I can give some of you out there a few easy tips on how to shrug off your questionable mood and be yourself. In the end, it just might make you feel better...

1) Do one thing today that you'd normally fear to do on a daily basis.

Okay, let's be real for a minute. I'm not suggesting you drop everything, take the day off, and go skydiving. Far from it. I'm suggesting wearing a color combination you might not normally wear, write for five minutes if you're so inclined, pick a quiet and undiscovered (by you) location to take a 15 minute walk. Spend sometime stretching your boundaries. Yes, this is harder for some than others. I always go on in this blog about things that are "harder for some than others". You all embrace things at your own comfort level and speed. No need to go overboard. I'm suggesting a mere step off the beaten path in your daily routine.

2) Give yourself time.

One of the biggest mistakes I find that people make in dealing with themselves is giving time to the goals and accomplishments they wish to see realized. I'm even guilty of this action! We seem to give an infinite amount of understanding to others when they cannot realize their end game, but we are all too quick to blame and judge ourselves when the situation does not turn out to be what we'd hoped. Forgive yourself a bit everyday - allow yourself to be excused when you fail. It really is harder and harder every time to get up when you fall. Lack of personal motivation doesn't help you to get a hand up. I hate to sound like overused platitudes, but you're the LAST person that should be telling YOU that you cannot accomplish anything!

3) Be a little crazy!

I'm going to give you a sample of an as of yet unused outfit post to illustrate...

Photobucket
Sunglasses - $16 (Target)
Earrings - $0.50 (Thrifted)
Button up - $13 (Forever 21)
Shorts - $9.99 (FCUK for Sears)
Necklace - $2 (Thrifted)
Belt - $2 (Thrifted)
Tights - Gift (Gap)
Shoes - $6.80 (Target)
Purse - Gift (Louis Vuitton)


Admittedly, it's taken me years and years to feel like I can get away with being the person that I am. I have been through rough patches that still bring up old issues for me and make me doubt myself more than anyone else could. Being told that I wasn't good enough to be me hurt worse than hiding the person that I am. I keep this in mind constantly. I like being just a little bit crazy, and I hope the fact that I've opened up a bit about issues we all face has made you think about being just a little bit crazy, too.

Until next time,

~ they seek her there

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post because I always catch myself feeling like I am not allowed to wears something that may attract attention if I'm not in total control of the situation. Like I'm not good or clever enough to be able to look or act out of the "norm" The other thing that stops me from wearing my makeup or clothes as bold as I'd sometimes like are the comments from people I know. I can be wearing grungy jeans and boots and no makeup one day because I was at work at the barn, but if I wear eyeliner and nicer shoes, I get asked what I'm dressing up for. Like I need a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! You absolutely don't need a reason to dress up and feel good. People can be just plain mean when they see that someone doesn't "fit" with the idea that they have of them. Cheers to you for pushing the boundaries. :)

      Delete