Saturday, January 7, 2012

Trend Tip: Faux Fur Vests

It hasn't been very "wintry" in Chicago as of late. The weather continues to bounce back and forth between freezing cold temperatures and near, pseudo-spring days. I'm a bit crushed, as I love to layer and love seeing what bits and pieces of sweaters and vests and shirts I can pile on top of each other to get the chic-est layered look. A few years ago, I fear that would not have been the case.

I used to hate winters in Chicago (like many, many other citizens of northern Illinois), but even more I HATED layering. "You? Hate layering?!?!" one may ask with a stunned expression. If you know me now, I layer at every turn I can get. When I was 16 or 17, not so much. I hadn't quite reached my fashionable peak so to speak. Why am I telling you all of this? Because, dear readers, this is precisely whom I have designed this blog for - those who want to climb the mountain to reach the fashion zenith. Today, I have chosen to write about yet another trend to help you all in your quest. Our lesson for this post is having to do with fur vests.


(From top left) - Tan; White; Black; Black/Gray; Gray; Vintage Inspired

This is just a small collection I've put together while browsing through some of the online selections of my favorite stores. Right now, you can find faux fur vests just about anywhere. Why is this? Well, first of all it's winter. Despite what the Chicago weather would have you believe, it is the month of January and layering is usually a necessity. Fur vests are a stylish way to layer. Secondly, they add texture and pop to an outfit whereas your normal, everyday cardigan does not. Everyone wears cardigans, but not everyone has the guts to pull off a faux fur vest. Executing this trend comes down to, again, taking a leap and seeing if it works for you. Don't know how to wear it? I'll give you my example...


Photobucket
Oxford - JCrew (Thrifted; $4.99)
Sweater - Old Navy (Gift)
Faux Fur Vest - Forever 21 ($27.80)
Skirt - Old Navy ($4.00)
Tights - Target ($5.00)
Shoes - Forever 21 ($15.80)

If this was solely an outfit post, I might have called this look "Little Red Riding Hood". The color scheme is just right, and one of my co-workers commented that it looked like I had stepped out of the woods. Fairy tale chic anyone?

Admittedly, it was quite different for me to wear my vest in this way. Usually, I would have done without the sweater, but I decided to take the plunge and it got me a stunning amount of compliments at work. Who would have thought?

The sweater is a cable knit type of sorts which SCREAMS wintry. Coupled with my fur vest and a blue oxford (to add a touch of class) I've got a very work appropriate winter outfit. It is "cold chic" and professional all at the same time. My shoes just top off the professional air I'm trying to emit. I've got the cranberry tights in there for a bit of color.

Again, my outfit is just a single example. You can tone your own fur vest look down a bit by staying to more neutral colors or less layers. You can make it even more wintry by adding a pair of fur-lined boots and long socks. It's really up to you!

Have you tried the fur vest trend? Comment here about your thoughts and attempts. I'd love to hear them!

Until next time.

~ they seek her there

No comments:

Post a Comment