Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Musings on Inspiration

Last week I came to the realization that I've hit a dry spell of sorts. I had every desire to provide you, my readers, with the best fashion advice and creative ideas I can offer. I tried and tried and tried. I couldn't count how many times I sat down at my computer and nothing was flowing. It wasn't until a few days ago until I really pinpointed the source of my un-inspiration. Now that I had identified the problem, I had to determine what to do about it.

I didn't have to mull over that question for very long. A friend sent me this video. Yes, that is John Cleese of Monty Python fame speaking very seriously about creativity; more specifically the necessity of "play time". So, I took some "play time" to think about the sort of thing that inspires me. This is what I came up with...


Photobucket

(From top left: vintage floral print, Stockholm Library, colorblock goodness via H&M, Neuschwanstein Castle, thrift store love, lanterns in Turkey)

Everyone's creativity is stimulated in various ways. Surprisingly, this little photoset isn't dominated by conventional, "fashionable" images. I go for colors over couture any day. Color is what draws me in, inspires me, and gets me in an excitable mood. Far-off places is the other underlying theme in this mini-collage. A single concept that never fails to generate fanciful thoughts and dreams in my mind are the picturesque locations one can only hope to someday visit. There is such history, beauty, and a story in each of these places. I aspire to someday design a line around my personal "Wonders of the World" locales.

Now that I've told you a little about my creative process to get my "inspiration juices" flowing, I want to know what gets you excited about expressing yourself!

Feel free to comment below and share with the rest of the class what makes your creative process so fantastic.

Until next time!

~ they seek her there


No comments:

Post a Comment