Sunday, February 5, 2012

Outfit Post of the Day - Your party girl is showing...

What happens when someone who dresses up every day has to "dress up" for a formal event? Do you up the ante or just maintain your standards? I like to throw together a little bit of both.


Photobucket

I had the recent opportunity to don "formal wear" of sorts for my friends' wedding in early January. They have an interesting sense of humor and decided to hold their reception complete with a bad senior prom backdrop against which you could take a picture that would "last a lifetime". Thanks to my boyfriend and his well-developed sense of humor, the above picture came about.

Here's my choice for this outfit post...


Photobucket
Sweater - Old Navy ($15.00)
Dress - Forever 21 ($13.50)
Get it here in blue/black and white/black!
Cami - Old Navy (Gift)
Belt - Thrifted ($1.99)
Tights - Target ($10.00)
Shoes - Forever 21 ($17.50)
Bracelets - Forever 21 ($8.80) Get them here!

See? It's a little less "high school dance". I'll confess that while looking for this dress I was in a panic. This wedding was going to be one of the best I've been to in a while (about 8 over the last 2 1/2 years), and I absolutely had to look the part! Forever 21 is my fallback in cases such as these. After an afternoon of rooting through the racks of dresses so short you could see what I ate for breakfast, I came up with this one. It's classy, and there's a pop of color - qualities of an outfit in which I put a strong belief.

When I "turn it up to 11", I like to focus on my detailing and styling more so than in my everyday dress. Accent colors (the pink, blue and green) are a must as well as varying textures (the lace cami, the Chevron patterned tights). I also feel compelled to add a personal touch to each formal outfit I throw together. This keeps it "mine" and also allows the look to fall in line with most of my everyday dress. The belt and shoes are my personal accent; they stand out and set me apart.

Eye catching details are the key to dressing formally. Even the most basic formal looks (i.e. prom dresses/tuxedos) implore this trick by having rhinestone adorned gowns and waistcoats which sport colors no guy would be seen wearing on the street! How you decide to make those details known is up to you...

Have a unique idea to spice up your formal wear? Share it with us in the comments or send examples/techniques that you've used to stand out in the crowd!

Until next time!

~ they seek her there


No comments:

Post a Comment